The ELD Rule covers the following four key areas:
- Mandates ELDs for drivers currently using RODS and a two-year adoption period;
- New supporting document requirements for carriers and drivers to comply with HOS regulations;
- Procedures and provisions to protect drivers from harassment resulting from ELD information; and
- Technology specifications for ELD performance and design requirements to ensure manufacturers are able to produce compliant devices and systems.
Who is ELD Rule exempt?
There are three instances where a carrier is not required to use ELDs although the carrier may still choose to use one. .
- Drivers who use paper logs no more than 8 days during any 30-day period.
- Driveaway-towaway drivers (transporting an empty vehicle for sale, lease, or repair).
- Drivers of vehicles manufactured before model year 2000.
The ELD rule also includes an implementation timeline giving drivers and carriers a two-year grace period to comply with the requirements. In addition, ELD providers like SOAR Solutions will need to be certified and registered with the FMCSA.
For the complete final rule click here.
Post a Comment